Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Mugo Pine yamadori

Ok folks I have collected my first big yamadori Mugo Pine. Here is a picture of the Mugo before collection.




Now I'm not out of the clear yet. With a little research through Startpage.com(google alternative) and reading through bonsainut.com forums I have learned pines or conifers for that matter. Take up to 1-3 years to recover from being collected. It is a lot of stress on a conifers to take it from its environment and stick it in a pot. So when I got home I did not have a container or a pot to fit the tree in. So I had to make a container out of the materials I had. The container I made was mostly oak I believe.






After making the pot I drilled about 50-60 drainage holes. Plus extra holes to hold the pine from moving.
Potted up mugo pine. I left the rootball with original soil attached. I added 40% peat moss, 30% diatomite, 10% pumice, 20% perlite.









I made a video of the repotting on youtube.




3 comments:

  1. Great yamadori, I like what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have a lot more that I havent even added yet. Should make a youtube video first or add to the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. good job, I like Yamadori's. It gives a more up close view of my trees. I am also trying to build up my own personal collection. I am chronicling my journey on youtube . Check it out if you like https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZCqySUeyTWB8caB1CxTOJQ

    ReplyDelete